Junior varsity football falls to Louisburg College, 30-27
The JU junior varsity football team saw opportunities slip by the way side as they fell to Louisburg College, 30-27, on a hot Monday afternoon at D.B. Milne Field.

The Hurricanes (1-2) led by 10 points entering the final quarter before holding off the Dolphins (0-1) twice in scoring range to earn their first win of the season.

JU led initially when Aron Dukes blocked a punt during the second Hurricane offensive series in the first quarter and Eric Carmody pounced on the ball in the end zone for the 7-0 advantage.

The Hurricanes got on the board from a 24-yard field goal by Brad Holmes to make it a 7-3 ballgame.

Hurricanes Brandon Austin kept the momentum going after hitting a 65-yard pass to the three yard line on an untimed down to end the first quarter. He completed a pass to the tight end Zach Wilson on the next play. Wilson fumbled the ball, but Jameze Massey recovered the ball in the end zone to give his team a 10-7 lead.

JU’s Brett Maher rumbled in way into the end zone with a 13-yard run to give the Dolphins the lead again, but it would be short lived as the Hurricanes marched back down the field and scored on a five-yard touchdown pass from Austin to Brian Carter for the 17-14 lead before half time.

The Dolphins had a chance to tie it before the half, but Corey Inman missed a 19-yard field goal in the final minute.

In the second half, Darren Perkins hit Massey on a 51-yard touchdown strike on the Hurricanes first drive to take a 24-14 advantage.

JU would get into scoring range during the next series on a fumble recovery at the 8:56 mark of the 4th quarter. The Dolphins missed their opportunity as Joe Pearson picked off a Michael Clifton pass and returned it for more than 60 yards into JU territory.

Perkins took advantage of the interception by hitting a 30-yard touchdown pass to give the Hurricanes a 30-14 lead following a missed extra point.

Leonard Smith returned the kickoff for 62 yards following the touchdown for JU, while Clifton hit Chad Oubre on a 33-yard touchdown to make it a 30-21 ball game.

The Dolphins got the onside kick after the score, but were unable to move the ball by suffering two incomplete passes, an intentional grounding and a personal foul on the punt attempt.

Clifton atoned for the previous drive by hitting Anthony Kincy on a six-yard score in the final minute, but Inman missed the extra point to make it a 30-27 Hurricane advantage.

JU tried for one last onside kick and couldn’t get lighting to strike twice as the Hurricanes recovered to seal the win.

The Dolphins are back at home on Monday, September 22, against Webber International at 3 p.m.