The final week of the regular season is upon us as Jacksonville (14-15; 9-7 A-Sun) travels Lipscomb (11-16; 6-10 A-Sun) for an 8:15 pm (EST) contest on Thursday. Currently alone in fourth place in the A-Sun standings, the Dolphins enter the final two games one game back of Stetson for third.
JU will be looking to end a three game slide away from home this week. The Dolphins are coming off a 61-58 loss to ETSU last Saturday. Freshmen Kordario Fleming had a career best 18 points and added six rebounds in the game. After reaching double figures just five times in the first 21 games of the year, Fleming has done so six times in the last eight games
Lipscomb has won three of its last five following a 70-55 win at Kennesaw State last Saturday. The Bison are 4-3 at home in league play this year.
Jacksonville leads the all-time series 12-9. The Dolphins won the first meeting this year 85-71.
92.5 FM (Terry Norvelle)
Next Up For Jacksonville
The Dolphins wrap up the regular season at Northern Kentucky on Saturday.
- Of the Dolphins nine league wins this season, seven have been decided by four points or less or gone to overtime
- JU is 8-2 in the A-Sun this season during mid-week games including a 4-1 record on Thursdays
- The freshmen duo of Jarvis Haywood & Kordario Fleming are averaging 24.7 ppg during the month of February
- Glenn Powell (893) needs seven points to reach 900 for his career
- JU is 6-1 when holding opponents to less than 40% shooting
- A win would give JU its 10th league win for the sixth time in Cliff Warren’s eight years at the helm
Freshmen No Longer Freshmen
- Jarvis Haywood and Kordario Fleming are both still in their first collegiate seasons, but the duo has been playing like a pair of seasoned veterans of late
- Haywood has reached double digits in six of the last seven games averaging 13.6 points and 5.4 rebounds during the stretch
- Fleming has been just has productive reaching double digits in six of his last eight while averaging 11.4 points and 6.9 rebounds
Leaving the Score at the Door
Jacksonville has found a way to be adaptable no matter the pace of play this season. The Dolphins have posted wins during A-Sun play this year when both teams have scored in the 90s, 80s, 70s, 60s, 50s and 40s.
2012-13 Turnaround Among the Best at JU
Biggest improvements at JU
1. 14 2006-07
2. 12 1993-94
3. 10 2000-01
5. 9 1952-53
6. 8 1955-56
7. 6 2012-13
JU alum Artis Gilmore Ranked As One Of Top Players In NCAA Tournament History
- Gilmore led JU to the 1970 NCAA Championship game against UCLA while averaging 26.4 points and 18.6 rebounds in the Dolphins’ five games
- ESPN.com tagged him at No 54 of the list ahead of Michael Jordan at No. 57