Winners of two straight and three of the last four, Jacksonville (7-8; 2-0) takes it’s winning streak on the road to Florida Gulf Coast (9-5; 1-1) at 2:00 pm on Saturday afternoon as the Dolphins look to maintain an early advantage in the A-Sun standings.
One of only two teams in the league currently off to a 2-0 start, Jacksonville sits tied with Mercer on top of the A-Sun. The Dolphins are off to their fourth 2-0 league start in the last six years, all under Head Coach Cliff Warren, who equaled the JU all-time wins record with his 107th victory in the Dolphins’ victory over Lipscomb last time out.
In the 85-71 win over Lipscomb on Wednesday, junior Keith McDougald shot 5-7 from three on his way to a team high 19 points to lead five players in double figures for JU. McDougald had found A-Sun play to his liking, averaging a team best 12.0 points and shooting 66.7 percent (6-9) from three.
FGCU is coming off a 77-70 overtime loss at Mercer on Wednesday. The Eagles are 7-0 at home this season and led by Sherwood Brown and Bernard Thompson with 14.4 ppg each.
- Jacksonville leads the all-time series 7-3
- FGCU has won the last three games in the series
- Fans can hear the Voice of the Dolphins, Terry Norvelle locally on 1010XL
JU continues the two game road swing at Stetson on Monday
JU AT A GLACE
- Head Coach Cliff Warren has 107 career wins at JU and needs only one victory to surpasses Rollie Rourke (1953-60) for the most wins by a JU coach.
- JU has started out 3-0 in the A-Sun two other times (2008, 2011)
- The Dolphins are 7-0 when leading at halftime this season
- JU leads the A-Sun in blocks averaging 4.1 per game
- The Dolphins are also tops in the league forcing an average of 16.8 turnovers per game
- Glenn Powell leads active A-Sun players in career rebounds with 588. He also ranks fourth this season with 7.7 rpg
- Russell Powell has 12 assists and only one turnover in A-Sun play this season. The Dolphins had a +24 advantage in points scored against Lipscomb when he was on the floor