ORLANDO, Fla. – Behind four players in double-figures and a game-high 23 points from Tristan Spurlock, UCF raced past the Jacksonville University men’s basketball team on Tuesday night by a count of 104-64 at the CFE Arena.
J.R. Holder led the Dolphins (3-6) with 16 points, 14 of those coming in the second half. Marcel White added 15 points on the night.
Early on, UCF was the beneficiary of a rare six-point possession to stretch a 4-2 lead to 10-2. Kasey Wilson knocked down a three at the same time as a foul was called away from the ball. Tristan Spurlock worked free to knock down a trey from the corner to increase the Knights lead to eight.
The rest of the half proceeded in UCF’s favor, as the Knights sank over 55 percent of their shots from the floor and connected on six 3-pointers in the opening 20 minutes. Perhaps the most telling aspect of the half – which ended with UCF holding a 54-28 lead – was that the Knights, the worst free throw shooting team in all of Division I entering the night, shot a perfect 8-for-8 from the stripe in the opening half.
RJ Slawson began the second half with a strong post move to cut the UCF lead to 54-30, but the Knights used a three-point play from Isaiah Sykes on the other end to ignite a 17-0 run to make it 71-30 before Holder ended the run. Though Jacksonville’s offense ran more smoothly as the game progressed, the Dolphins were constantly on their heels as the Knights continued to rain down 3-pointers. They ended the night shooting 13-of-28 (.464) from behind the arc.
In addition to the big offensive nights from Holder and White, Javon Dawson returned to the lineup and tallied season highs of nine points and 10 rebounds. Vince Martin filled the stat sheet with six points, five rebounds, five assists and five steals. Sam Hunt chipped in with seven points and four assists.
Spurlock had a double-double with 23 points and 11 boards for UCF. Sykes added 17 points on a perfect 7-for-7 from the floor.
Jacksonville is back in action on Dec. 20 at the Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena, taking on Samford at 7 p.m.
- UCF’s 13 made 3-pointers ties for the most by an opponent in Cliff Warren’s nine years at the helm at JU.
- Jacksonville’s freshmen accounted for 40 of the team’s 64 points on the night. Breaking the Dolphins down by class, the 62.5 percent of the points that the newcomers provided is the largest by any class in a game this season.
- Jacksonville’s bench outscored the starting five for the third time this season, contributing 34 points on the evening.
- Tyler Alderman started for the first time in his collegiate career.
- J.R. Holder set a career high with 16 points and knocked down multiple 3-pointers in a game for the first time. He becomes the sixth Dolphin to lead the team in scoring in a game this season.
- Marcel White scored 15 points – 10 of which came in the first half – and played a career-high 26 minutes.
- Javon Dawson set season highs with nine points and 10 rebounds.
- Josh Murray made his first career field goal on a second half dunk.
- Vince Martin had five rebounds, five assists and five steals for the second time this season, having accomplished the same in JU’s season opener at Florida State.
- Sam Hunt also set a career high in minutes played with 29.