JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – Following a weekend road series with non-conference foe Georgia State, the Jacksonville University baseball team returns home to begin a four-game home stand. The Dolphins (4-3) welcome in-state rival No. 3/4 Florida State (7-0) to John Sessions Stadium on Tuesday, Feb. 27, in the first of three meetings between the schools this season. First pitch from John Sessions Stadium is scheduled for 5:00 p.m.
JU vs Florida State: 37-124
JU vs Florida State at JU: 27-45
Dolphins swept the season series in 2016
Series began in 1964
Probable Starting Pitchers
RHP Spencer Stockton (0-0, 0.00 ERA) vs. RHP Andrew Karp (1-0, 0.90 ERA)
The Dolphins went 1-2 in a weekend series at Georgia State, dropping the first two contests before salvaging the second game of Saturday's doubleheader. JU plated a pair in the top of the ninth of game three's 5-3 win, after the Panthers knotted the game in the seventh. RBI singles by Angel Camacho and Scott Dubrule allowed the Dolphins to put up a crooked number and send in freshman reliever Chris Mauloni to finish the job and earn his first win of the season in 2.1 scoreless innings on the mound.
- Three JU pitchers recorded career-highs in strikeouts last week. First, it was freshman RHP Austin Temple, who fanned six in 2.1 innings of relief on Tuesday at Bethune-Cookman. Then on Saturday, RHP Mike Cassala threw six innings in a start at Georgia State, striking out eight, before he was relieved by Mauloni, who earned his first career win in 2.1 of scoreless relief and K'd four.
- Sam Armstrong came alive last week, smacking a ground-rule double on Tuesday for his first hit of the season and clubbed three total doubles this week, amounting seven hits over the four games.
- Mauloni still has a perfect 0.00 ERA after his third appearance of the season Saturday night. He has now thrown 5.2 scoreless innings in relief, and has registered two saves and a win.
- Senior pitchers Spencer Stockton and Matt Meyer both made their season debuts this weekend. RHP Stockton struck out two and allowed just one hit in two scoreless innings of relief on Friday, while LHP Meyer allowed two runs on one hit in one inning Saturday.
- JU has used six different batting orders through the first seven games of the season, keeping the first four batters the same in each contest.
- The Dolphins are 2-1 against ranked teams thus far on the season, defeating No. 22 West Virginia in a three-game series to open the year.
Scouting Florida State
- Florida State enters the mid-week tilt as the No. 3 team in the nation according to Baseball America and No. 4 in D1Baseball's top-25. The Seminoles maintained a perfect record over the weekend, completing a three-game sweep of Troy to improve to 7-0. FSU stands alongside 12 other undefeated teams in college baseball.
- FSU looks to build off a 46-23 mark in 2017, which included an ACC Tournament Title and the club's first trip to the College World Series since 2012. The team returns 19 letterwinners (9 position players & 10 pitchers) from its previous campaign.
- Florida State ranks second nationally in walks, with 58 free passes earned through the first seven games of the season. The pitching staff ranks eighth in the NCAA with a 1.86 combined ERA, placing fifth with 12.3 strikeouts per-nine innings.